Thursday, November 11, 2010

Urban Decay 24/7 (glide-on eye pencil) vs. Milani Liquif'eye (metallic eye liner)

Everybody knows about the UD 24/7 glide-ons, they're well known for coming in the UD book of shadows palettes. Or sold in a set usually deluxe or travel sized and there's also the single full size.


I don't know if everybody knows about the Milani Liquif'eye metallic liners. But it's a drug store brand and I feel like it makes a great dupe for some of the UD 24/7 liners. 


So, I'm just going to hop right into the pros and cons and then my thoughts on the products and which one I would most likely purchase in the future. 


Urban Decay 24/7 liner


PROS


-Wide range of color variety, about 20+ colors


-Does glide-on smoothly, so no tugging on the eyes


-Consistency is soft and creamy for an eye pencil 


-Safe for lining your inner rim


-Not tested on animals 


-Does stay put after it dries (I like to set with eye shadow, so it won't budge at all)


-Made with a good amount of moisturizing ingredients


CONS


-$17 for a full size pencil 1.2g


-Creamy consistency causes smudging which isn't good unless you're doing a smokey look or something.


-Takes MORE than 30 seconds to dry (unless you just set with eye shadow)


-Though it's safe for the water line, I find that the tiny bits of glitter in some of them irritate my eyes.


-Can only be purchased through the UD website, Sephora stores and website, Ulta stores and website, Macy's store and website or somewhere else on the web i.e. ebay or amazon.




Milani Liquif'eye Metallic liner


PROS


-Very affordable around $5 or so for a full size 1.2g 


-Easily attainable at many locations, drug stores like CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, other stores like Wal-mart, Target and Fred Meyer.


-Goes on smoothly with very little effort 


-Highly pigmented (the black makes UD zero look brownish black)


-Dries in seconds (sometimes I don't set with a shadow and it's still there hours after 1st applying it)


-Doesn't budge at all 


-Usually a BOGO sale at the drug store so you can buy more than one for an even better deal.


-Safe for water line


-Creamy consistency as well but only difference is that it doesn't budge in spite it.


-Great dupes for some of the UD liners, if not better (in my opinion).


CONS


-Only comes in 5 colors (Black, Brown, Aqua, Silver and Gold)


-Taking it off can be a bit of a hassle when it's on your tight line.


-If you have oily lids like me, it'll move a bit. (best to remove oil on lids before applying it on 
and setting with shadow)




My Final thoughts


So there are definitely some pros and cons for both. For me personally...I love Urban Decay, but I wouldn't purchase a 24/7 liner in the future unless it's a new color or there's something special about it. I would definitely on the other hand purchase Milani Liquif'eye liners again and again. They're affordable even though they only come in 5 colors. I've already gone through 3 or 4 blacks, 2 aqua and 2 browns. And my UD zero the only full size 24/7 liner I've ever purchased is not even at the half way mark and I got it long before buying my first Milani one. (that says a lot) Don't get me wrong I still use it every once and again. usually for a daytime liner because it's not an intense black like the Milani Liquif'eye in black. Zero is more a brownish-black so it's closer to natural looking in the daytime. Sometimes it'll just be out of reflex where I'll grab my brown liquif'eye liner instead, but it's just out of habit. Which would I recommend hmmmm... for the frugalista such as myself who doesn't mind a wide variety of color, definitely go with the milani liquif'eye liners. For the makeup lovers out there, who love UD and lots of optional colors to choose from check out the 24/7 liners.
Below are pictures of swatches and the liners too. 


This pic was taken with a flash and no primer underneath. (from left to right) The top row: UD liners in Lust, Electric and Zero. (took 4-7 swipes)
bottom row: Milani liners in Silver, Brown, Aqua and Black. (took 2 swipes each for that intensity) 


 This pic was taken in natural light, no flash still no primer. Milani black is a lot more intense than UD zero.
 Same as second pic, natural light, no flash. About a minute after I swatched all the colors and took some photos. I ran my finger over all of them... None of the milani liners smeared. 2 of the UD liners did though, Electric and Zero. Lust was ok.


No comments:

Post a Comment